This program supports Canadian production companies looking to finance the development stage of their feature film project(s).
Who can apply
Canadian production companies in search of financing for the development stage of their feature film project(s).
Overview of the program
- Eligible applicants may submit their project or portfolio of projects at any time during the program’s opening period
- For the most part, financing will be attributed automatically based on the total score of the applicant
- Existing clients can now access the funding amounts available to them, should they be eligible, directly online
- Selective round financing:
- open to clients who are eligible to apply, but have not yet achieved a score
- five groups are targeted, namely women, members of Aboriginal and official minority communities, and emerging talent
Overview of eligibility requirements
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a Canadian controlled corporation, with its head office in Canada and carry out its activities in Canada
- operate as a feature film production company
- have produced at least one Canadian fiction feature film or documentary with a theatrical release in the last five years
- have produced a film funded by Telefilm as part of the Micro-budget Production Program distributed in theaters or on one or more digital platforms in Canada over the past five years
- key members of the development team must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
Please consult the Guidelines below for specific eligibility requirements.
New versions of the Development Program guidelines, FAQ, list of required documents, final cost report and standard template are now available.
Changes to the Program
- The Program is now open to creators who have previously produced a theatrically released documentary and to production companies who have produced a film under the Micro-Budget Production Program.
- In addition, production companies submitting women-led projects (projects written in French, English or Indigenous by a female writer and developed with a female producer) now have access to additional funds.
- Please note that production companies wishing to submit projects under the women’s targeted group, Telefilm will favour those whose portfolio submitted under the Automatic stream already demonstrates gender diversity with respect to the screenwriter.
New support available for creators from British Columbia
Thanks to a joint initiative with Creative BC, production companies from British Columbia who receive less than $30,000 in development funding from Telefilm may receive for a top-up amount from Creative BC to reach $30,000 in total funding available to the producer. Funds are available on a first come, first served basis until the fund is depleted.
The Program is now migrated to Dialogue. Before submitting an application, new clients must ensure to have a Dialogue account, and existing clients must transfer their eTelefilm account onto Dialogue.
Read our FAQ to guide you in opening your Dialogue account.
No applications will be accepted after October 30, 2017.
Before submitting an application, new clients must ensure to have a Dialogue account, and existing clients must transfer their eTelefilm account onto Dialogue.
No applications will be accepted after November 24, 2017.
Program applications must be submitted online.
Declarations and affidavits
Accounting and Reporting Requirements (2016)
Accounting and Reporting Requirements (2016) - Summary of Changes
Accounting and Reporting Requirements (2014)
Accounting and Reporting Requirements (2006)
Ontario and Nunavut