NATIONAL FEATURE FILM EXECUTIVE, ENGLISH MARKET
Cultural Portfolio Management - Project Financing
StatusSpecific Term 3 years (possibility of extension)
DeadlineJuly 31, 2021
Telefilm Canada, a Government of Canada Crown Corporation, is looking for a bilingual National Feature Film Executive, English Market to join its senior management team. As the role requires attending numerous industry events and involves ongoing field work and representation with industry leaders, partners, clients, and associations prevalent in the Toronto area, the National Film Executive, English Market will be based in Toronto.
Telefilm is committed to the success of Canada’s audiovisual industry, fostering access and excellence by delivering programs that support cultural resonance and audience engagement. Telefilm bolsters dynamic companies and creative talent at home and around the world.
Telefilm Canada is committed to building a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the Canadian population. The organization promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion, and encourages all individuals to voluntarily indicate if they identify as a woman, a member of an Indigenous community, a person with a disability, a member of a racialized group or other.
In accordance with the Accessible Canada Act, 2019 and all applicable provincial accessibility standards, upon request, accommodation will be provided by both Odgers Berndtson and Telefilm Canada throughout the hiring process.
Reporting to the Vice President, Cultural Portfolio Management, and as a member of senior management, the National Feature Film Executive, English Market, will play a critical role in ensuring that Telefilm remains at the heart Canada’s cultural sector by developing and implementing a feature film business plan in keeping with Telefilm’s strategic objectives and the needs and new realities of the feature film industry. In doing so, the incumbent will carry out the following responsibilities.
- Develop the annual feature film business plan.
- Contribute, as a feature film expert, to the investment portfolio strategy and oversee recommendations for financing decisions in compliance with Telefilm’s funding and reporting guidelines and in keeping with regional priorities, processes and policies, and for multiple platforms.
- Review and approve regional feature film action plans. Assess and monitor project risks.
- Ensure that the Regional Feature Film Executives prioritize the needs of their region.
- Work with internal stakeholders on initiatives and activities that reflect the industry’s changing realities and needs, in order to foster its development.
- Build and strengthen relationships with domestic and international clients, co-producers, key stakeholders, funding partners and contributors, and represent Telefilm at major national and international events.
- Deploy solid leadership skills in developing, mentoring and maintaining a team of seven direct reports.
Competencies and Requirements
- Postgraduate degree in a related discipline, with at least 10 years of varied experience in a senior management role or an acceptable combination of equivalent education, job-related training and/or experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of varied experience (including at least five years in a management capacity).
- Comprehensive knowledge of the feature film industry and extensive experience in distribution/marketing of feature films in Canada and internationally, including the ability to evaluate the creative and commercial potential of projects at the script stage, as well as the ability to interpret contracts.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of trends, priorities, developments, problems, employment, distribution methods and practices, and financial transactions relating to the commercial life of domestic and international feature films.
- Significant management experience in large complex organizations, including the management of human and financial resources.
- Experience in strategic management and organizational change.
- Experience leading a variety of consultative and collaborative efforts among diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Ability to travel across Canada and internationally, post COVID pandemic.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of Telefilm Canada’s mandate and business activities.
- Knowledge of the current challenges and opportunities for the Canadian feature film, industry, domestically and abroad.
- Financial literacy and knowledge of the principles and practices of sound management, risk management and corporate governance.
- Knowledge of strategic corporate planning, monitoring and evaluation of key performance indicators.
- Ability to identify, analyze and define priorities and strategies.
- Ability to provide national and international leadership in supporting the Canadian audiovisual industry and promoting Canadian content.
- Proficiency in both official languages, and superior communication skills, both written and oral.
To fill this position, Telefilm Canada has partnered with executive search firm Odgers Berndtson. If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your CV online at http://www.odgersberndtson.com/en/careers/17175.
Applicants commit to complying with Telefilm Canada’s Conflict of Interest Disclosure Requirements.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest. We regret that we are only able to personally contact those individuals whose profiles best match the requirements for the role.