Personal Information Collection Statement – Self-Identification
At Telefilm Canada (“Telefilm”), greater diversity, inclusion and equity are at the heart of our values. We acknowledge that Canadian creators of underrepresented identities experience greater challenges in obtaining financing. As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting a greater diversity of talent, we must capture data as it relates to underrepresented communities in applications and programs.
This Statement explains why personal information is being collected and what it will be used for.
Personal information is to be provided solely on a voluntary basis and may include, among other things, first and last names, language, contact information (e.g. e-mail address, phone number, mailing address or region), citizenship, along with gender identity and expression, preferred pronoun(s), belonging to the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, Indigenous identity, racial and/or ethnic identity, disability status and belonging to an official language minority community.
In accordance with the Directive on Privacy Practices issued by the Treasury Board Secretariat, the personal information collected will be accessible to individuals occupying positions with a valid reason for accessing and using that personal information (the “designated staff”) including, but not limited to, designated staff in the department administering the program or activity in relation to which an application is filed, as well as designated staff in the Legal Services, Information Technology and Communications departments.
The personal information collected may be used in aggregate (depersonalized) form for statistical, planning, evaluation and reporting purposes, as well as communication and promotion materials covering, among other things, information related to the actions, programs and activities of Telefilm.
In addition to the purposes outlined above, if you consent to the use of your information in the processing of an application, which is at your entire discretion, your personal information may also be used in an identifiable (personalized) form:
- In communications or exchanges between Telefilm and an applicant or an applicant’s authorized representatives or mandataries in connection with the processing of such financing application.
- As part of the processing of such application as well as any related operations. Accordingly, personal information may be used or shared in the following ways, among others:
- Where appropriate, as part of the peer or Advisory Committee review process, applications are then submitted to peer review committees or panels composed of members from the Canadian audiovisual industry.
- Depending on the program, applications may otherwise be reviewed by external reviewers or Telefilm staff analysts.
- Where appropriate, personal information may be consulted during the assessment process in order to: determine the eligibility of applicants or their applications; assess organizational composition; or foster a balanced portfolio of decisions.
- For communication, promotional and celebration purposes. These purposes may involve, among other things:
- Communicating or publishing information on individuals connected to applications that benefited from Telefilm’s programs and/or activities.
- Communicating success stories involving members of the audiovisual industry.
- Organizing invitations to attend award ceremonies, to submit a nomination for an award, or to register for a festival, market or event.
The collection and use of personal information are in accordance with the Telefilm Canada Act, the Canadian Human Rights Act, the Canadian Multiculturalism Act and are in line with the provisions of the Privacy Act. The information is included in the personal information banks Applications Related to Programs or Activities (TFC PPU 015), Voluntary Self-Identification (TFC PPU 025), Public Communications (PSU 914) and Outreach Activities (PSU 938).
In collecting and processing personal information, Telefilm will share – among other things – said personal information with third parties who operate platforms and/or applications that handle and store information on behalf of Telefilm. Please note that this information may be handled and/or stored outside Canada in accordance with the policies of such service providers, which are available at the following link(s): http://www.appian.com/privacy/
Any questions, comments, concerns or complaints regarding the administration of the Privacy Act and privacy policies may be directed to Telefilm’s Privacy Coordinator by e-mail to ATIP-AIPRP@telefilm.ca, or by calling 1-800-567-0890.
If you are not satisfied with our response to your privacy concern, you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by email at email@example.com or by telephone at (800) 282-1376. You also have the right to file a formal complaint with the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada about the handling of your personal information.