FIRST LOOK – USA 2024
CALL FOR ENTRIES
(Films currently in post-production)
Organized by Telefilm Canada and the Trade Commissioner Service of the Consulates General of Canada in New York and Los Angeles FIRST LOOK is an international export and sales initiative that provides a preview of 6 narrative features to the acquisition community in New York and Los Angeles.
- This Call for Entries will be submitted through Dialogue Events.
- Please consult the User Guide to submit your application.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR APPLICANTS
- be a Canadian controlled corporation, as determined under sections 26 to 28 of the Investment Canada Act;
- have its head office in Canada and carry out its activities in Canada;
- operate as an audiovisual production company;
- producers and other key production personnel exercising creative and financial control over the project must be Canadian ;
- be searching for an international sales agent and/or an international distributor for the submitted project in the US market;
- if selected, be able to produce and deliver a pitch reel that includes excerpts of the project by mid-February deadline (to be confirmed); and
- if selected, be available to present a pitch reel and participate in round table meetings during the virtual events that will take place from March 26 to April 10, 2022. Canadian” means for individuals, a Canadian citizen within the definition of them Citizenship Actor a permanent resident within the definition of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and for corporations, under Canadian control pursuant to the Investment Canada Act.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR PROJECTS
- Be a feature length (75 minutes or more) film, fiction, in the post-production phase;
- Be produced or completed in French, English, an Indigenous language, or for artistic imperatives, in another language, must be subtitled if in a language other than English;
- Be under the ownership of the Canadian applicant (including its copyright);
- Be written by a Canadian screenwriter;
- Be directed by a Canadian director;
- With respect to Canadian content certification, upon completion be either:
- Certified by the Canadian Audio-Visual Certification Office (CAVCO) as a “Canadian film or video production” with a minimum of 8 out of 10 points under the provisions of the Income Tax Act ; or
- Recognized as a treaty coproduction by the Minister of Canadian Heritage; and
- Be aimed primarily at the Canadian theatrical market, with a strong potential for international sales in the US market; and
- Conform to the Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) Code of Ethics and to all other programming standards endorsed by the CAB or the CRTC, and not contain any element that is libellous or in any other way unlawful. “Canadian” means for individuals, a Canadian citizen within the definition of the Citizenship Act or a permanent resident within the definition of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and for corporations, under Canadian control pursuant to the Investment Canada Act.
FIRST LOOK aims to introduce films currently in post-production and their creators from Canada to sales agents, distributors, agents and festival programmers in the United States.
In January, the selected participants will be mentored by The Gotham, an industry specialist, to prepare their pitch and film clips in order to pitch to U.S. industry experts. (Delivery deadline of the excerpts by mid-February)
Following the event, participants will participate in one-on-one meetings with the experts interested in their projects.
New* This program also will include participation in The Gotham Project Market – Producers Hub in early fall 2024, which will include a special curated roundtable conversation for the 6 producers, sessions and 1:1 meetings.
Promotion and Communications
Telefilm Canada, Montreal
1 800 567-0890