AFI DOCS Film Festival
Call for entries
(Feature, short films and episodic series, Documentary)
The AFI DOCS Film Festival is currently accepting applications for its 2021 edition.
Please note that films must be submitted directly to the festival via FilmFreeway.
- Competitive: Yes
- Entry fees: 50-90 UDS
- All films or series must have been completed after February 28, 2020
- Feature films must be at least 41 minutes; Short films must be 40 minutes or less including all credits. Episodic Documentary Series must contain at least 2 episodes (or one episode if a two-part series.
- All films or series in a language other than English must be subtitled in English
- Features must not be available online as a DVD or digital download/link for purchase. They also must not have been broadcast on television in the United States or screened theatrically in the United States prior to June 22, 2021.
- All feature length films must be Washington DC region premieres. Features screening at virtual festivals or online platforms widely available to audiences throughout the US market prior to June 22, 2021, are eligible to submit, but films that have not played multiple virtual festivals available throughout the US may be given priority consideration.
- Short documentaries (40 minutes and under) are eligible to apply regardless of television broadcast history and online availability. However, short documentaries that have not screened previously in the region may be given priority.
Now in its 19th year, AFI DOCS will be held June 22-27, 2021. The festival program presents the very best of contemporary non-fiction filmmaking from across the globe, including world and international premieres and works by master and emerging filmmakers alike. The AFI Festivals team is committed to achieve the same high standard of programming and engagement that has defined AFI DOCS over the years, while planning a virtual and/or hybrid in-person festival experience for 2021.
Telefilm Canada recognizes the selection of a feature film in the Festival for applications to its International Festival participation Program.
Telefilm Canada, Montreal
1 800 567-0890