Perspective Canada at the European Film Market (EFM) | Berlin 2024
CALL FOR ENTRIES
(Market screenings- Feature-length films, narratives, and documentaries)
Perspective Canada at Berlin is the brand name of a group of market screenings reuniting a selection of Canadian features showcased at the European Film Market (EFM) that runs parallel to the Berlinale.
The showcase strives to increase the international promotion and exploitation of Canadian feature-length films and to spotlight Canadian companies, films, and talent to the over 10,000 professionals from more than 110 countries accredited by the EFM.
- Perspective Canada 2024 will present between 12 to 14 features in theaters.
- For every film selected, Telefilm Canada will cover 50% of one physical market screening cost and the applicant must cover the balance.
- Physical screening costs range from approximately 400 to 600 € per hour (based on 2023 rates).
- Every film selected in Perspective Canada will be screened once at the EFM.
- Applicants wishing to present their film twice will have to cover 100% of the cost for the second screening.
In the case of a foreign-based international sales company representing an invited Canadian film, Telefilm Canada will invoice the Canadian-controlled production company for the market screening costs. The film selected in Perspective Canada will also benefit from a promotional campaign developed and entirely funded by Telefilm Canada to guarantee the best possible exposure for the invited Canadian films.
Feature-length films, narratives and documentaries, are eligible.
- 1. Films must be:
- a. Canadian productions funded by the Canada Feature Film Fund (CFFF), OR
- b. Non-CFFF-funded Canadian productions selected at the 2024 Berlinale or the 2024 Sundance Festival, OR
- c. An official Canadian coproduction directed by a Canadian filmmaker.
- 2. Films must be represented and submitted by a Canadian owned and controlled (within the meaning of the Investment Canada Act) distribution or production company as defined in the CFFF guidelines.
- 3. Films must be produced in the 12 months prior to the EFM.
- 4. Films must be market premieres or may have screened once at the American Film Market in Los Angeles 2023.
The selection of the films for Perspective Canada will be made according to the sliding priority scale below until the slate has been filled:
- Eligible films that are officially selected by the Berlinale or Sundance in 2024.
- CFFF-funded films which have a sales agent attached.
- Eligible films that have won a recognized award, a special mention or recognition on the national or international festival circuit in the 6 months leading up to the market.
- Eligible films with the most distinguished track record of performance at the Canadian box office in the 6 months leading up to the market.
On a case-by-case evaluation, other films may participate on an invitation-only basis by Telefilm Canada:
5. Non-CFFF Canadian films which have garnered recognition on the international festival circuit or that have a distinguished track record of performance at the Canadian box office in the 6 months leading up to the market.
Telefilm Canada shall seek to maintain an appropriate regional balance, to encourage films and distribution and production companies from all regions of Canada.
Films selected must be represented at the EFM by an international sales company or, if the film is not attached to an international sales company, by the Canadian production company.
If selected, applicant must meet the EFM’s deadlines for film file delivery, market accreditation form, market screening registration form and Telefilm Canada delivery deadlines of materials for the production of the promotional campaign (around December 5, 2023).
- This Call for Entries will be submitted through Dialogue Events.
- Please consult the User Guide to submit your application.
For further information, please contact Danielle Belanger (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Valérie Frappier (email@example.com).
Promotion and Communications
Telefilm Canada, Montreal
1 800 567-0890