External Advisor application
Telefilm is welcoming applications from interested industry professionals to be considered as external advisors for the Medium to Large-Scale Festivals Program.
Eligible candidates will support the National Promotion team in evaluating the applications in this Program. Candidates who are selected will be compensated at industry standard rates, as determined by Telefilm.
Eligibility will be determined through a review of the candidate’s stated competencies, involvement and connections with the industry. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application for Telefilm’s consideration as all applications will be evaluated for their fit as an external advisor.
Telefilm will aim to refresh the group of external advisors involved in the evaluation of the applications annually to help ensure balanced representation, new perspectives, transparency, and continued expertise. As part of its commitment to a transparent decision-making process, Telefilm may publish the names of its external advisors once all decisions have been finalized.
Ideal candidates have a passion for the continuing evolution of Canadian festivals, including arts and film festivals, and are open to a wide range of mandates, subject matter, perspectives, styles, delivery methods and genres of films.
Collectively, the external advisors will possess the following competencies:
- Experience, expertise, and capacity to assess marketing strategies that focus on brand awareness, audience development, audience engagement and outreach
- Experience, expertise, and capacity to assess alignment of strategies with target audiences identified, community partnerships established and the festival’s objectives
- Passion and experience in the fields of arts and culture, programming and curation, marketing, communications, audience outreach, event production and management and/or non-profits
- Knowledge of Canadian and international arts and culture
- Knowledge and cultural sensitivity on the topics of diversity, equity, inclusion and representation
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience working in teams and collaborating
- The ability to objectively evaluate the assigned questions while following assessment requirements
- Thorough knowledge of the Medium to Large-Scale Festivals Program Guidelines, particularly the program’s objectives and evaluation criteria
- Participate in an initial on-boarding meeting to review the roles and responsibilities of the external advisors including the Code of Conduct and the consultation process
- Provide feedback with constructive notes on the strengths and weaknesses of the festival’s proposed audience development and engagement plans
Depending on the application volume, the time commitment for participation will vary and could extend over a few to several weeks.
- Have access to a computer and a stable internet connection
- Have basic knowledge of Microsoft platforms, including Excel and Word (Training will be provided on the Teams workspace)
- Comply with Telefilm’s Code of Conduct for Advisors Under National Promotion Programs
- Enter into a standard services agreement with Telefilm for the services rendered as an external advisor
How to apply
- Please review Telefilm’s Code of Conduct for Advisors Under National Promotion Programs
- Please fill out the Application Form to Act as an external advisor under National Promotion Programs (found below).
- Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your curriculum vitae or resume
- Application Form to Act as an external advisor under National Promotion Programs (completed)
Candidates are encouraged to provide all current and past interests and connections identified that could be considered a conflict of interest by Telefilm Canada, as defined in the Code of Conduct for External Advisors. Please note that Telefilm Canada will review all stated conflicts of interest to determine whether they, in Telefilm’s opinion, could create a real, potential or apparent conflict of interest.
Telefilm will only contact selected candidates.