Submit a coproduction recommendation application
Coproductions are joint film and television productions that are shared between Canadian and foreign coproducers in accordance with audiovisual coproduction treaties signed between partnering countries.
We evaluate and recommend projects likely to be recognized by the Department of Canadian Heritage as audiovisual treaty coproductions.
Who can apply
Any Canadian-controlled production company that has signed a coproduction agreement with a foreign producer from a country that has signed an audiovisual coproduction treaty with Canada.
- Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria can submit a recommendation application at any time
- Applicants must first submit a preliminary recommendation application 30 days before shooting of the coproduction. Please contact us if you are unable to meet this timeframe.
Overview of eligibility criteria
Projects submitted must meet the following criteria (subject to the provisions of each treaty):
- coproduction produced jointly with an eligible producer in a country that has signed an audiovisual coproduction treaty with Canada
- Canada and the coproducing country must provide a minimum financial contribution of 15% to 30%, as per the terms of the applicable treaty
- financial, creative and technical contribution, and the level of expenditure must all be in proportion
- for example, if the project is 40% Canadian, it is expected that 40% of the budget be spent in Canada
- all personnel hired to work on an official coproduction must come from the coproducing countries
- production and post-production of the project must be carried out in coproducing countries
- subject to the approval of administrative authorities, most of the treaties allow for non-coproducing country actor(s) and foreign location shooting when the script so requires
For more information, please consult the applicable treaty, the Guidelines, and the FAQs.
All new preliminary and final recommendation applications will now have to be submitted through our new platform: Dialogue. You will first have to create your account.
All ongoing projects will still be managed via eTelefilm.