Who can apply
Canadian distribution and production companies in search of financing for the marketing and distribution of their feature film project(s).
Overview of the program
- Priority is given to films that have been funded through one of our financing programs
- The Marketing Program looks to support innovative marketing activities that will lead to increased theatrical accessibility and enhanced opportunities on digital distribution and multiple viewing platforms
Overview of eligibility requirements
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- must be a Canadian controlled production or distribution company
- must either be the production company that produced the film and that continues to hold all the distribution rights in Canada, or the distribution company that holds all the distribution rights to the film in Canada
- key personnel must be either Canadian citizens or permanent residents
All projects must meet the following criteria:
- be a feature length film that either is being or has been funded at the production stage under the Production, Theatrical Documentary or Talent to Watch Programs
- is or will be either certified by the Canadian Audio-visual Certification Office (CAVCO) as a “Canadian film or video production” or recognized as an official treaty coproduction by the Minister of Canadian Heritage
Please consult the guidelines below for specific eligibility requirements.
Note – Special COVID Measures
In order to take into account the special circumstances created by the COVID-19 pandemic, Telefilm may consider requests to waive theatrical releases on a case-by-case basis. These requests must be approved by the Project Financing team.
For National Marketing contracts signed prior to September 30, 2021, eligible administration fees have been increased to 20% of the marketing costs, up to a maximum of $30,000 (note: these fees are only eligible for applications submitted by Distributors).
A new version of the Marketing Program guidelines now available.