Theatrical documentary program
Who can apply
Canadian production companies in search of financing for their feature-length documentary projects in production and post-production.
Overview of the program
All projects submitted under this program will be evaluated through the lens of reaching Telefilm’s objective of obtaining a representative and diversified feature film portfolio that better reflects gender, cultural diversity and Canada’s Indigenous communities. The first step in attaining this objective will be to prioritize projects directed or written by women to ensure that we reach our 2020 goal of a portfolio that reflects gender parity while continuing to champion and support the works of Indigenous creators and members of communities representing Canada’s cultural diversity.
- Eligible projects will be evaluated on their overall creative merit, relevance and accessibility to theatrical audiences, as well as the potential of the project to succeed at the box office
- Broadcaster-affiliated production companies are eligible to apply with projects in the English market only
Overview of eligibility requirements
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a Canadian controlled corporation, with its head office in Canada and carry out its activities in Canada
- producers and other key members of the production team must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
All projects must meet the following criteria:
- be a feature length documentary film targeted primarily at Canadian theatrical audiences
- must be either in English, French, or an Aboriginal language
- must be directed by a Canadian citizen
- must have a firm commitment from an eligible Canadian distribution company
Please consult the guidelines for specific eligibility requirements.