Canada enhances its presence at South By Southwest
Montréal, February 27, 2018 – Telefilm Canada is delighted that there will be a strong Canadian presence at the upcoming 2018 South by Southwest (SXSW), to be held in Austin, Texas, from March 9 to 18. In addition to the 13 Canadian films selected, Telefilm Canada and its partners will offer a series of events aimed at fostering the unique convergence of original musical productions, independent films and emerging technologies.
From March 11 to 13, a Telefilm Canada bungalow will serve as the hub for a lineup of activities that draw on various festival streams. The bungalow, named “RDV Canada,” will offer a variety of activities, including a day entirely dedicated to Quebec, a VR/AR Garden (for virtual and augmented reality), and screenings of excerpts from a selection of the most recent Canadian films and projects. Evening events featuring musical and interactive performances by renowned Canadian artists Milk & Bone, Pierre Kwenders and Kardinal Offishall will bring each day to a close.
List of the Canadian Official Selection at SXSW:
- First Light (Jason Stone)
- Haven (Kelly Fyffe-Marshall) – Short
- Indie Tips From Your Canadian Neighbo(u)rs (Eli Batalion, Philip Kalin-Hajdu) – Meet Up
- Living With Jaguars (Patrick McGuire, Jeff Orlowski) – Virtual reality
- Manivald (Chintis Lundgren) – Short
- Milk (Santiago Menghini) – Short
- My Dead Dad’s Porno Tapes(Charlie Tyrell) – Short
- Night Owl (Gillian Muller and Rebekah Miskin)
- On My Way Out: The Secret Life of Nani and Popi (Brandon Gross and Skyler Gross) – Short
- Prospect (Zeek Earl and Chris Caldwell)
- Shiva Baby (Emma Seligman) – Short
- The New Romantic (Carly Stone)
- The Terrorist Hunter (Ann Shin) – Short
- The Things You Think I’m Thinking(Sherren Lee) – Short
- We Forgot to Break Up (Chandler Levack) – Short
- What Keeps You Alive (Colin Minihan)
Telefilm Canada thanks its partners: Export Québec, the Québec Government Office in Houston, Talent Fund, Canada Media Fund, Secret Location, HUB Montreal, CIMA, the Phi Centre, Beachclub, the Consulate General of Canada in Dallas, Mangrove, Badel Media, OVA, Threelefts, Groupe Média TFO and Infrastructure Canada / Government of Canada.
South By Southwest (SXSW) has earned worldwide recognition since 1987 for its annual Music and Media Conference & Festival international event. Three major industry events take place in Austin over a 10-day period, reflecting the convergence that is increasingly marking the entertainment and media sectors. More than 500 Canadians have confirmed their presence at this year’s event.
RDVCANADA.CA is a brand-new platform for information about Canada’s audiovisual industry. Connect with RDV Canada at any time, on any digital medium, to stay on top of all our SXSW activities.
About Telefilm Canada—Inspired by talent. Viewed everywhere.
Celebrating 50 years in 2017, Telefilm is dedicated to the cultural, commercial and industrial success of Canada’s audiovisual industry. Through funding and promotion programs, Telefilm supports dynamic companies and creative talent at home and around the world. Telefilm also makes recommendations regarding the certification of audiovisual treaty coproductions to the Minister of Canadian Heritage, and administers the programs of the Canada Media Fund. Launched in 2013, the Talent Fund accepts private donations to principally support emerging talent. Visit telefilm.ca and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/telefilm_canada and on Facebook at facebook.com/telefilmcanada.