Telefilm Canada congratulates the Canadian winners at the Academy Awards, the Independent Spirit Awards and the César Awards
Montreal, February 27, 2017—“This weekend, Canadian talent was lauded on both sides of the Atlantic, taking the stage not only at the Academy Awards, but the Independent Spirit Awards and the César Awards as well.
“On behalf of all of us at Telefilm Canada, I sincerely congratulate all of the Canadian winners. Our homegrown talent from both sides of the camera was on full display for all the world to see.” said Carolle Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm Canada.
Canadian winners at the 89th Academy Awards
- Alan Barillaro (Piper), Short Film (Animated)
- Sylvain Bellemare (Arrival), Sound Editing
- Caroline Waterlow (O.J. : Made In America), Documentary Feature
Canadian winner at the 32nd Independent Spirit Awards
- Daniel Bekerman, producer of The Witch, which took Best First Feature and Best First Screenplay (Robert Eggers)
The Independent Spirit Awards were held on February 25, 2017.
Canadian winners at the 42nd César Awards
- Niels Schneider (Dark Inclusion), Most Promising Actor
- Xavier Dolan (It’s Only the End of the World), Best Editing
- Xavier Dolan (It’s Only the End of the World), Best Directing
The César Awards were held on February 24, 2017.
About Telefilm Canada—Inspired by talent. Viewed everywhere.
Celebrating 50 years in 2017, Telefilm is dedicated to the cultural, commercial and industrial success of Canada’s audiovisual industry. Through funding and promotion programs, Telefilm supports dynamic companies and creative talent at home and around the world. Telefilm also makes recommendations regarding the certification of audiovisual treaty coproductions to the Minister of Canadian Heritage, and administers the programs of the Canada Media Fund. Launched in 2013, the Talent Fund accepts private donations to principally support emerging talent. Visit telefilm.ca and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/telefilm_canada and on Facebook at facebook.com/telefilmcanada.