Telefilm Canada will accept applications to the newly expanded Talent to Watch Program from April 16 to 23, 2018
March 2nd, 2018 – Telefilm Canada’s Talent to Watch Program – Funding of First Feature Films and Web Projects from Emerging Filmmakers will accept new project proposals from designated industry partners from April 16 to 23, 2018.
Formerly known as the Micro-budget Production Program, the Talent to Watch Program – Funding of First Feature Films and Web Projects from Emerging Filmmakers continues to support emerging talents but also puts the spotlight on a new generation of creators that have already demonstrated high potential for success.
Building on the successes of the past five years, and in order to more broadly support emerging talents, Telefilm Canada has expanded its eligibility criteria and list of partners.
What is new?
• Addition of the “Fast Track Stream”: Automatic financing will be given to projects directed by an emerging director having previously directed a short film that has won a prize at a selected film festival. Applicants to the Fast Track Stream should contact Telefilm before applying to the Program.
• Addition of the “Festival Selection Stream”: This new stream aims to support projects chosen among submitted films directed by an emerging director having previously directed a short film that was selected at a recognized film festival. Funding under this stream is not automatic.
• Increased number of projects supported through the program; up to 50 projects will now be supported each year.
• Addition of new designated industry partners to better reach creators from all regions and diverse communities.
• Under the Selective Stream, each designated industry partner may recommend up to two feature films and one narrative-based web project for each component under which the partner is eligible.
Mainly funded and supported by the Talent Fund since 2013, the program has supported 73 projects and garnered some 90 awards, unveiling Canadian talent to the world.
For full details on the program, consult the full Program Guidelines on Telefilm’s website.