Canada House returns south of the border for SXSW
UPDATE: Following the announcement by Austin city officials that SXSW 2020 has been cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus (COVID-19), Telefilm Canada is cancelling all activities relating to Canada House.
Expanded venue brings five days of Canadian-focused programming and entertainment to Austin scene
Canada House, powered by Telefilm Canada, is bringing Canada’s signature cool back to Austin’s sizzling SXSW scene for its second year in a larger-than-before edition. The initiative brings together Canada’s film, tech, and music sectors under one roof to promote the strength of Canada’s creative industries and show the world what we have to offer in terms of partnerships and industry support.
“Everything’s bigger and better in Texas, as they say, and this year, Canada House is no exception,” said Christa Dickenson, Executive Director at Telefilm Canada. “We have assembled a dynamic range of industry partners and programming, highlighting the many reasons why working with Canada is a must for anyone looking for quality creatives and to expand their audience.”
Located this year at The Venue from Sunday, March 15 to Thursday, March 19, Canada House will be an eco-responsible business and event space that puts Canada’s innovation and creativity on the map, through diverse and inclusive programming. Each day will feature a series of panels, presentations, and talks, as well as music performances by some of Canada’s hottest and emerging talents.
Canada House’s details are as follows:
Where: The Venue (516 E 6th St, Austin, TX 78701)
When: Sunday, March 15 – Thursday, March 19
- 2:00 pm – 2:00 am (Sunday)
- 10:00 am – 2:00 am (Monday through Thursday)
Daytime admission to Canada House is free of charge. Details on programming, daily schedule and evening admission rates will be available in the coming weeks at rdvcanada.ca.
Telefilm is pleased to welcome the following partners for the 2020 edition of Canada House: Principal Partners City of Montréal, Music Export Canada, Vancouver, and Government of Canada; Major Partners Calgary Economic Development, Consulate General of Canada – Dallas, Directors Guild of Canada – Ontario, Innovate Edmonton, and the Talent Fund; Associated Partners Canada Media Fund, Export Québec, and Ontario Creates; and Contributing Partners Canadian Media Producers Association, and Manitoba Film and Music. As Creative Partners for Canada House, Artistic direction is by Judith Portier Design, with Light Show by Creative Lab, and Media capturing by Genius XR.
Canada is also represented as part of SXSW’s official programming. Titles announced include:
- Broken Orchestra (director: Charlie Tyrell, screenwriters: Charlie Tyrell, Josef Beeby)
- Castle in the Ground (director/screenwriter: Joey Klein) – International Premiere
- Clerk (director: Malcolm Ingram) – World Premiere
- Cursed Films (showrunner: Jay Cheel) – World Premiere
- Hot Flash (director/screenwriter: Thea Hollatz)
- Humans – ‘Noose’ (director/screenwriter: Peter Ricq
- Modern Whore (director/screenwriter: Nicole Bazuin) – World Premiere
- No Crying at the Dinner Table (director: Carol Nguyen) – U.S. Premiere
- Out of the Blue (Director: Dennis Hopper, Screenwriters: Leonard Yakir, Brenda Nielson) – New 4K Digital Restoration
- PG (Pyscho Goreman) (director/screenwriter: Steven Kostanski) – World Premiere
- Regret (director/screenwriter: Santiago Menghini)
- Rules for Werewolves (director: Jeremy Schaulin-Rioux, screenwriter: Kirk Lynn) – World Premiere
- Space Explorers: the ISS Experience – Preview (director: Felix Lajeunesse) – World Premiere
- Still Wylde (director/screenwriter: Ingrid Haas) – World Premiere
Canadian music acts currently scheduled for SXSW include: ACTORS, Ada Lea, Alex Nicol, Anachid, Art D’Ecco, Automelodi, Bad Waitress, Basia Bulat, Begonia, Billy Raffoul, Bodywash, Boniface, Cadence Weapon, CARYS, Catherine MacLellan, Corridor, Dan Mangan, Devarrow, Devours, Did You Die, DJ Miss Shelton, DJ Rosegold, DJ TIZI, DJ DL, Elephant Stone, Elijah Woods x Jamie Fine, ELLEVATOR, Ellis, Forever, FRANKIIE, Gloin, Goodbye Honolulu, Guidestones, Gunner & Smith, Haviah Mighty, Hero, Hot Garbage, Iskwē, Jane’s Party, Jeremie Albino, Jesse Mac Cormack, Joël, Katerine Duska, Kayla Diamond, Kiwi Jr., Le Couleur, Legal Vertigo, Lido Pimienta, Little Coyote, Lou Cannon, Luna Li, Maddee, Mark Woodyard, Matiu, Meltt, Meryem Saci, Miesha & The Spanks, Naya Ali, Neck of the Woods, Necking, Neon Dreams, Nonso Amadi, Partner, PONY, Port Juvee, Roman Clarke, Sarah Burton, Saya, Sebastian Gaskin, Shah, Shay Lia, Snotty Nose Rez Kids, Tallies, The Franklin Electric, TÖME, Vera Sola, WHOOP-Szo, and Wire Spine.
Among Canada’s presence in a lineup of over sixty Speakers and Conferences, includes:
- “The Secret to Co-Production with North and South America”, with Francesca Accinelli, Telefilm Canada; Catherine Mathys, Canada Media Fund
- “Creating Immersive Worlds Through Film and Games”, with Melissa MacCoubrey, 2K Games
- “AI and the Future of Musical Creativity”, with Pablo Samuel Castro, Google; Alain Dagher, McGill University; and Monica Dinculescu, Google
- “Data to Development: How Hollywood Finds New IP”, with Jocelyn Hamilton, Entertainment One; Aron Levitz, Wattpad
- “Featured Session: Guy Laliberté: The Importance of Play”, with Guy Laliberté, Lune Rouge; moderated by Liz Plank
The 2020 edition of SXSW runs from March 13-22 in Austin, Texas. For full programming details and schedule, please visit: www.sxsw.com/festivals/
About Telefilm Canada
Telefilm is dedicated to the cultural, commercial and industrial success of Canada’s audiovisual industry. Through funding and promotion programs, Telefilm supports dynamic companies and creative talent at home and around the world. Telefilm also makes recommendations regarding the certification of audiovisual coproduction treaties to the Minister of Canadian Heritage, and administers the programs of the Canada Media Fund. Launched in 2012, the Talent Fund accepts private donations which principally support emerging talent. Visit telefilm.ca and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/telefilm_canada and on Facebook at facebook.com/telefilmcanada.
Advisor, Public Relations – English Market
Advisor, Public Relations – French Market