Telefilm Canada congratulates the Canadian talent nominated for an Oscar
Montreal, January 24, 2017—“On behalf of everyone at Telefilm Canada, I’d like to extend my heartfelt congratulations to all of this year’s Canadian Oscar nominees. This recognition of Canadian talent and creativity shines brightly on the world stage,” said Carolle Brabant, Executive Director, Telefilm Canada.
“Over the last 50 years, Telefilm Canada has grown with the Canadian audiovisual industry, which has matured into a vital sector of activity at home and abroad. We are proud of the talent that our industry has developed, and continues to develop, as today’s Oscar nominations clearly demonstrates.
“Canadians around the country have much to be proud of today and I wish the very best of luck to all the Canadians who are in the running for an Oscar this year.”
Canadian talent nominated at the 89th Academy Awards
- Alan Barillaro (Piper), Short Film (Animated)
- Howard Barish, co-producer (13th), Documentary (Feature)
- Sylvain Bellemare (Arrival), Sound Editing
- Bernard Gariépy Strobl and Claude La Haye (Arrival), Sound Mixing
- Ryan Gosling (La La Land), Actor in a Leading Role
- Paul Hotte (Arrival), Set Decoration
- Shawn Levy, co-producer (Arrival), Best Picture
- Theodore Ushev (Blind Vaysha), Short Film (Animated), National Film Board of Canada
- Robert Valley (Pear Cider and Cigarettes), Short Film (Animated)
- Patrice Vermette (Arrival), Production Design
- Denis Villeneuve (Arrival), Directing
About Telefilm Canada—Inspired by talent. Viewed everywhere.
Celebrating 50 years in 2017, Telefilm is dedicated to the cultural, commercial and industrial success of Canada’s audiovisual industry. Through funding and promotion programs, Telefilm supports dynamic companies and creative talent at home and around the world. Telefilm also makes recommendations regarding the certification of audiovisual treaty coproductions to the Minister of Canadian Heritage, and administers the programs of the Canada Media Fund. Launched in 2013, the Talent Fund accepts private donations to principally support emerging talent. Visit telefilm.ca and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/telefilm_canada and on Facebook at facebook.com/telefilmcanada.
Douglas Chow, Head, Public Relations, Telefilm Canada
(514) 283-0838 ext. 2048 or 1-800-567-0890