Telefilm congratulates the filmmakers behind the Top 12 of the decade – All feature films chosen by Playback readers were supported by Telefilm Canada
Montréal, December 21, 2010 – Telefilm Canada congratulates the filmmakers whose works were selected as the best 12 Canadian movies of the decade. It should be noted that each of these films obtained Telefilm support.
“Canadian cinema no longer has to prove anything,” said Michel Pradier, Director of Project Financing at Telefilm Canada. “We produce international-calibre films right here in Canada, and here’s proof! Telefilm is very proud to have contributed to the selected works, which managed to move audiences in Canada and around the world.”
Here are the Top 12 films of the decade according to a Playback poll:
- Away From Her (2006) – Sarah Polley (writer/director), Daniel Iron, Simone Urdl and Jennifer Weiss (producers)
- C.R.A.Z.Y. (2005) – Jean-Marc Vallée (writer/director), François Boulay (writer), Pierre Even (producer)
- Water (2005) – Deepa Mehta (writer/director), David Hamilton (producer)
- Les Invasions Barbares/The Barbarian Invasions (2003) – Denys Arcand (writer/director), Daniel Louis and Denise Robert (producers)
- Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001) – Zacharias Kunuk (director/producer), Paul Apak Angilirq (writer/producer), Norman Cohn, Zacharias Kunuk and Germaine Wong (producers)
- Eastern Promises (2007) – David Cronenberg (director), Steve Knight (writer), Robert Lantos, Tracy Seaward, Paul Webster (producers)
- The Corporation (2003) – Mark Achbar and Jennifer Abbott (directors); Mark Achbar and Bart Simpson (producers); Joel Bakan (writer)
- It’s All Gone Pete Tong (2004) – Michael Dowse (writer/director), Elizabeth Yake, Allan Niblo and James Richardson (producers), Rupert Preston and Kim Roberts (executive producers)
- Amal (2007) – Richie Mehta (writer/director), Shaun Mehta (writer), Steven Bray (producer)
- J’ai tué ma mère/I Killed My Mother (2009) – Xavier Dolan (writer/director/producer)
- Manufactured Landscapes (2006) – Jennifer Baichwal (director/producer), Daniel Iron and Nick de Pencier (producers)
- Polytechnique (2009) – Denis Villeneuve (writer/director), Jacques Davidts (writer), Don Carmody and Maxime Rémillard (producers)
Playback is Canada’s production, broadcasting & interactive media destination, offering an intimate view of industry events, trends, and innovations through a daily online newsletter and a feature-packed website.
About Telefilm Canada
Telefilm Canada is a federal cultural agency dedicated to developing and promoting the Canadian audiovisual industry. Telefilm provides financial support to the private sector to create distinctively Canadian productions that appeal to domestic and international audiences. Telefilm also administers the Canada Media Fund’s programs. Visit www.telefilm.ca.