Telefilm Canada is committed to better understanding and supporting Canada’s audiovisual industry. Collecting data allows us to gain greater insight into the members of our community and their projects. It also plays a key role in creating a more equitable industry.
As part of our ongoing commitment to supporting a diversity of talent, we aim to capture data as it relates to applications and programs. This will assist in the evaluation, eligibility, and decision-making processes, as well as enhancing programs and industry initiatives.
What is it?
All directors, writers, producers, co-producers, and executive producers (excluding courtesy credits) attached to a project submitted will receive the self-identification questionnaire.
As part of its application review process, Telefilm requests that members of the key personnel complete a confidential self-identification questionnaire that will help Telefilm better understand its community and their projects.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
When applying for funding, the project applicant identifies the members of the creative team and provides their contact information. Next, the creative team members automatically receive an invitation from Telefilm to submit their self-identification questionnaire privately and decide what use can be made of it.
Participants can choose to consent to their data being used in the processing of the application for the project to which they are associated, or decide for it to only be used in an aggregate manner.
Participants have five calendar days to complete the questionnaire after receiving it. After that time, if you have not submitted the questionnaire, your information may not be included in the processing of the application.
WHAT PROGRAMS WILL THIS APPLY TO?
HOW WILL DATA BE USED IN THE PROCESSING OF AN APPLICATION?
If the individual agrees for data to be used in the processing of an application, data submitted by key creative personnel will help in:
- Validating eligibility for streams in certain programs:
- Indigenous Stream (Development, Talent to Watch, Theatrical Documentary, Production)
- Stream for Black and People of Colour (Development)
- Filmmaker Apply-Direct Stream (Talent to Watch)
- Evaluating the creative materials
- Reviewing the project’s Community Engagement Plan
- Portfolio balancing in Development, Production, Theatrical Documentary, and Talent to Watch programs
HOW WILL TELEFILM USE THE DATA?
By filling the self-identification questionnaire, participants contribute to a culture that supports all creators, and the industry’s progress towards greater diversity goals.
Data collected may be used for:
- Improving and evolving Telefilm’s programs
- Identifying areas to support underrepresented communities
- Reporting on Telefilm’s project pipeline
- Supporting industry initiatives (career development)
- Promoting talent and their projects
- Monitoring, evaluating, performance measurement, and audits
AGGREGATE DATA VS PERSONALIZED DATA
- The individual is not identifiable
- All information provided in the platform may be used in an aggregate form for statistical, planning, evaluation, and reporting purposes, as well as communication and promotion materials
- Personalized information:
- Is shared with the applicant
- Is accessible to advisory committee members and external analysts involved in processing the application
- Could be communicated to the industry or in our reports
- The individual is identifiable
- All information used in processing funding applications is personalized
- Information can only be used in processing applications if the concerned individual consents to it
- Consent is required for each application