The purpose of the Privacy Act is to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by a government institution and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
Principles for Assisting Requesters
In processing your privacy request or correction request under the Privacy Act, we will:
- Process your request without regard to your identity.
- Offer reasonable assistance throughout the request process.
- Provide information on the Privacy Act, including information on the processing of your request and your right to complain to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
- Inform you as appropriate and without undue delay when your request needs to be clarified.
- Make every reasonable effort to locate and retrieve the requested personal information under the control of the government institution.
- Apply limited and specific exemptions to the requested personal information.
- Provide accurate and complete responses.
- Provide timely access to the requested personal information.
- Provide personal information in the format and official language requested, as appropriate.
- Provide an appropriate location within the government institution to examine the requested personal information.
The Access to Information and Privacy Online Request Service
This service offers a convenient way to:
- enable individuals to make an online request for information that is held by a Government of Canada institution
- eliminate the need to print, scan, and email or mail a form to an institution
Mailing your request
To make a request by mail, complete the Personal Information Request Form or write a letter indicating that your request is made in accordance with the Privacy Act. Your request may be mailed to the following address:
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
360 St. Jacques Street, Suite 600